Forgot your Dell Inspiron laptop password and lock your laptop? This can be very frustrating, especially if you need to use your Dell laptop urgently. Some data may be lost if you want to reset your Dell laptop to factory settings.
What should I do? Here we will show you two efficient ways to unlock your Dell laptop without a forgotten password. Basic ways to unlock a Dell Laptop using a Password reset disk. The video guide is given below.
Reset Dell Laptop Password Without Disk
Factory reset your Dell Inspiron laptop.
If you have previously created a password reset disk on your Dell Inspiron laptop, you can use it to unlock your Dell laptop password easily.
- Go to the Dell laptop Windows login screen, type the wrong password in the text box, and press Enter.
- Click OK when prompted that your username or password is incorrect. Then click “Reset password” below the password text box.
- Insert your password reset disk, select it in the password reset wizard and click Next.
- You can reset your Dell Inspiron laptop password by entering a new password. Alternatively, you can unlock Windows without a password by leaving the password text box blank and clicking the Next button directly.
Don’t have a password reset disk? Don’t be disappointed. You can easily make your own.
Create a password reset disk using a password tool
Prepare a writable USB. Don’t have a USB? Borrow one from a friend or colleague. (If you have sensitive data on the USB, remove it to a storage location as it will format the USB before creating the password reset disk.)
Go to an accessible computer connected to the Internet, download the Windows Password Tool, and install it on your computer.
Start the Windows Password Tuner tool and connect a writable USB to your computer. Select your USB device and click Start Burning. Does the message ‘Burn Successfully‘ appear? If so, your password reset disk has been created, and you can now use it to recover your Dell laptop password.
- Set up your Dell laptop to boot from a USB password reset disk
- Bring the USB password reset disk insert to the problematic Dell laptop.
- Start/restart your Dell laptop and immediately press F12 repeatedly to enter the boot menu.
- Select the USB storage device and press Enter.
- Reset your Dell Inspiron laptop password to blank
Select Windows on your laptop and select your user account name.
- If you have Windows Vista installed, select Windows Vista.
- If you have Windows 7 installed, choose Windows 7.
- If you have Windows 8/8.1 installed, choose Windows 8/8.1.
- If you have Windows 10, select Windows 10.
When you click Reset Password, you will see a hint that your password will be set to blank; click Yes to agree.
Click Reboot, and you will be presented with tips to eject the removable device from the USB disk and click Yes to boot the laptop.
This time it will normally boot to the login screen. Click User Accounts to access your Dell laptop without a password.
Unlocking Dell Inspiron Laptop with Installation Disc
If your Dell laptop is locked and you forgot your password, look for the appropriate Windows installation disc. Do not worry. You will not be prompted to reinstall your system with the installation disk. Follow the steps below to unlock your Dell laptop password using the installation disc.
1st step Boot your Dell laptop from the Windows installation disc
- Insert the installation disc into your Dell laptop.
- Start/Restart your Dell laptop and immediately press the F12 key until the boot menu box appears.
- Press the Up/Down key to select CD/DVD/CD-RW drive, then press Enter key. (If you are booting from a USB drive, select a USB storage device.)
Replace “magnify.exe” with “cmd.exe.”
The steps are similar: a Vista, Windows 7, win 8/8.1, or windows 10 Dell laptop. So follow the steps below.
When the Windows Setup screen appears, press “Shift + F10” to open the Command Prompt window.
Replace “magnify.exe” with “cmd.exe” by running the following command:
ren magnify.exe magnify1.exe
len cmd.exe enlarge .exe
Screen capture like below:
After running the above command, remove the installation disk from the laptop and restart the Dell laptop by
typing “wpeutil” Reboot and pressing Enter.
Step 3: Remove Dell Inspiron Laptop Password Using Commands
- After the laptop reboots to the Windows login screen, click the Accessibility icon.
- Check the item “Make items on the screen larger (magnifying glass)” and then click OK.
- A command prompt window will pop up. The above command replaced “magnify.exe” with “cmd.exe,” so don’t be surprised by this.
- Remove the Dell laptop password using the net user coco “command.
Screen capture like below:
- “coco” is my user account name. Don’t forget to change your account.
- Restart the notebook. If you go to the login screen and click on User Accounts, you can see that your Dell laptop is unlocked without entering a password.
- Finally, reboot the laptop from the setup disk and change “magnify.exe” back to “cmd.exe” using the following command:
- ren magnify.exe cmd.exe
- ren magnify1.exe magnify.exe
If everything goes right, the Cocosenor Windows Password Tuner program should appear.
Also, read how to Connect AirPods to Dell laptops.