Many gamers connect Nintendo Switch to laptops by using capture cards to stream games from their laptop. Streaming through a capture card is currently the most reliable option, but what if you do not have access to your capture card?
Can you connect Nintendo Switch to a laptop without a capture card?
Yes, there are other resources you can connect Nintendo Switch to a laptop without a capture card for gameplay. But keep in mind one thing. You still need some sort of hardware to connect your Nintendo Switch console to your computer. Excluding the capture card may result in a slight decrease in graphics quality.
Now the question is “how to connect Nintendo Switch to a laptop without a capture card?”
The most effective way to connect a switch to a laptop without a capture card, here are some most common methods to follow:
Method 1: Connect Nintendo Switch to laptop without capture card by using Streamlabs
Streamlabs is a great tool to use, especially if you want to stream your Nintendo Switch games without a capture card. It is also very compatible with popular platforms like Discord, Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook.
To connect to Nintendo Switch to a laptop through Streamlabs you will need a smartphone, mobile mount, and Street Labs Application.
- Download and install the Streamlabs application on your phone.
- When you open the application, give it access to your camera and microphone.
- The next step is to customize the layout of the app.
- After customization, enter the application. From there, go to Broadcast Settings and select the desired bitrate and resolution.
- 720p would be a good starting point to see how streaming responds to internet data rates. You can also go for a higher resolution if you have a high-speed internet connection.
- Now turn on the switch and place your phone on a cradle or tripod.
- Finally, select the red button to stream the content.
Method 2: Connect the Nintendo Switch using Xbox One console
Yes, you can connect your Nintendo Switch console to your laptop using the Xbox One as a medium. If you already own an Xbox One console, this method will save you a few dollars on a capture card.
Things that you need: Nintendo Switch dock, Xbox One console, and a laptop along an HDMI and Ethernet cables.
The Switch Dock is essential for connecting your Nintendo Switch console and Xbox One via an HDMI cable. You will then need a laptop to install streaming applications and play games.
- Connect your Nintendo console to the Dock.
- Now you need to connect your Nintendo Switch console and Xbox One. Using an HDMI cable, connect one end to the Dock and the other end to the Xbox One console. Don’t forget to power on your Nintendo Switch console.
- Now launch the OneGuide application on your Xbox One console.
- Even better, connect your Xbox One to your laptop.
- The next step is to install the Xbox app software on your computer. Once downloaded and installed, open the application and select Xbox One. You should now see the Nintendo screen on your PC with the help of the previous setup.
- Start live on any social media platform using a reliable streaming application. We recommend using OBS Studio, ShareX, XSplit Broadcaster, or Lightstream Studio.
- At the time of this writing, Microsoft may have discontinued support for the OneGuide application. If you have an older version of OneGuide on your computer, try it out and see if it works. Alternatively, you can use the other methods mentioned below.
Method 3: How to connect the Nintendo Switch to a laptop with HDMI without a capture card?
This process is much more stressful than using a capture card. But if you think this is the way to connect a Nintendo Switch to a laptop, be sure to go for it. You also need to understand that, most importantly, your internet speed must be very fast.
If you are confident that you have a good internet connection, you should use the instructions provided below. All you need is an Xbox, TV, 2 HDMI cables, and fast internet access.
- Connect the power cord and HDMI cable to the Nintendo Dock.
- Place the Nintendo Switch on the dock.
- Connect the second end of the HDMI cable to the Xbox HDMI IN port.
- Connect another HDMI cable to the Xbox HDMI output port.
- Connect the second end of the HDMI cable to the back of the TV.
- Connect your Xbox and laptop to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Search for and open the Xbox Console Companion on your laptop.
- When it opens, click the Connections icon in the left tab.
- Click Stream then select continue and click on one guide.
- Select the cable or satellite box setup.
- While in the dock, turn on your Nintendo Switch.
- In a few seconds, your laptop will start capturing your TV via Xbox.
- You can start the game using your Nintendo controller.
If you want to make it full screen, turn off the Nintendo Switch in the dock and then remove it. Turn it back on and place it in the dock to instantly display the full screen.
Finally, these are the three most effective ways to stream Nintendo Switch games on the laptop without a capture card.
The Streamlabs OBS software allows you to stream the Switch without a capture card, but at the cost of high-quality footage. In most cases, you are limited to 30 fps at 720p resolution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Nintendo Switch connect to a laptop without a capture card?
Yes, the Nintendo Switch can be connected to a laptop without a capture card. It would be much more stressful, but it is possible.
How to use Nintendo Switch on Laptop without a capture card?
You can do this using an Xbox One that acts as a capture card, or by starting a stream using Streamlabs OBS and by using HDMI.
How do I connect my Nintendo Switch to my laptop via USB?
You will need a USB-C cable to connect your Nintendo Switch to your laptop. You can find the USB-C connector at the bottom of your Nintendo console. A USB-C to HDMI converter is required when connecting the console to a laptop/PC without a dock.